I prefer to use natural alternative holistic remedies to conventional treatments especially when it comes to my kids. My family is just getting over a virus that is going around and last week I was desperate to find something, anything, to alleviate my daughter’s symptoms, particularly her cough. I found myself at a local drug store, staring at a shelf full of over-the-counter children’s medications. Most of these drugs contain artificial flavors, artificial colors and sweeteners. One box that I looked at actually contained aspartame as a listed ingredient! Eyes blurred from reading all of the small print ingredients that I couldn’t pronounce, I ended up going home empty-handed.
I just wonder when some of these other conventional medicines marketed specifically for children will start to be pulled off of the shelves due to potential harmfulness and ineffectiveness just as many cold medicines have been. Don’t get me wrong, drugs have their place and I’m very grateful for some of them, such as acetaminophen (Dye-Free!) when my child’s fever spikes. However, before I fill the medicine cabinet with potentially harmful children’s “medications”, many of which are clinically ineffective, I will continue to consider natural remedies first, no matter how desperate I get!
Here are some of the more popular natural treatments for common symptoms of childhood ailments:
- Saline drops/Nasal Spray
- Eucalyptus Oil/Cream (add to boiling water as a steam or use as a rub)
- Coconut Oil Rub
- Lemon juice (or lemon essential oil) & Water
- Honey (do NOT give to children under 1 year!)
- Avoid Bananas, Milk & Chocolate
- DoTerra OnGuard Essential Oil Blend (for bath and humidifier)
- Tea Tree Oil & Water
- Horseradish (also acts as an expectorant and treatment for upper respiratory infections)
- Myrrh (also acts as an expectorant and decongestant)
- Oregano Oil
- Fresh Cabbage Laid Across Neck and Throat
Boost Immunity for Shortened Duration
- Vitamin D3
- Vitamin C
- Reduce Sugar Intake (sugar impairs immunity) & Increase High Anti-Oxidant Fruits & Vegetables
- Echinacea (consult a professional for dosage)
- Garlic (decreases growth of viruses and can be used as a necklace to reduce cough)
- Drink Plenty of Fluids
- Cool Bath
Stomach Problems & Colic
- Drops of Garlic or Olive Oil in the Ear
- Ear Infection Remedies to Consider Before Resorting to Antibiotics
- Fresh Air – Allow baby to go diaper free.
- Zinc Diaper Balm
- Calendula Cream
- Coconut Oil
Please keep in mind I am not a doctor or an expert and this does not constitute medical advice. The above information comes from various popular websites on the subject and certain precautions should be taken, especially when treating children. I encourage you to do your own research! For further reading, I recommend a book I received from my sister-in-law which is a great reference for natural remedies, “Alternative Cures: The Most Effective Natural Home Remedies for 160 Health Problems” by Bill Gottlieb.